UIC basketball gets the 2012-2013 season underway on November 11 in Chicago against UC Riverside. From that first game on, the Flames will attempt to match the expectations set by last season's squad. They offset a loss of 35% of last season's player minutes with the contributions of six incoming freshmen.
The largest gap to fill for UIC will be on defense, as the team lost 54.5% of their shot blocking. That's followed by rebounding, where they lost 44.8% of last season's numbers.
Last season, UIC put up a final overall record of 8-21 and were 9th in the Horizon with a conference record of 3-15. UIC lost last year's seniors Darrin Williams (23 minutes per game), Paris Carter (17 MPG), Matt Bush (8 MPG), and Dorian Tyler (5 MPG). The Flames will also miss Greg Travis (17 MPG), Rob Robinson (7 MPG), and Jerome Brown (6 MPG), who left the team.
Returning for the Flames are senior Daniel Barnes (1.5 steals/game), junior Hayden Humes (8.2 points/game), senior Gary Talton (11.6 points/game), freshman Marc Brown (1.5 assists/game), and sophomore Sammy Sutter (2.8 points/game).
Incoming freshmen joining the Flames include 6-4 Marc Brown, 6-4 Gabe Snider, 6-4 Austin Angel, 6-4 Ngijol Songolo, 7-0 Matt Gorski, and 6-8 Jake Wiegand. The team also gets 6-3 sophomore Joey Miller (transferred from Eastern Illinois), 6-5 senior Kelsey Barlow (transferred from Purdue), 5-10 sophomore Jay Parker, and 6-9 senior Josh Crittle (transferred from UCF). The first Horizon game for UIC is against Youngstown State on January 2nd.
Tags: Darrin Williams
- Since 2002, UIC has an overall winning percentage of 47.5%.
- The Flames have an average conference finish of 7.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 5.2.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 169.9.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Colorado State (#23).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Northern Illinois (#332).
- The last time UIC returned more than 63% of the team's statistical production was 2008-2009.
, Paris Carter
, Matt Bush
, Dorian Tyler
, Greg Travis
, Rob Robinson
, Jerome Brown
, Daniel Barnes
, Hayden Humes
, Gary Talton
, Marc Brown
, Sammy Sutter
, Gabe Snider
, Austin Angel
, Ngijol Songolo
, Matt Gorski
, Jake Wiegand
, Joey Miller
, Kelsey Barlow
, Jay Parker
, Josh Crittle